Saturday, October 12, 2024

JOIN ME FOR A READING AND TREAT---FINDING HOME and GINGERBREAD COOKIES

 




The story, based on the real-life adventures of Cinders, a koala who survived two bushfires, chronicles the challenges faced by a mother koala. She protects herself and her joey from a raging bushfire. Then she faces finding food and a new home for them both. Curious about her, a community of people first cause problems and then help her succeed. 


WAIT! How about baking up a treat to enjoy while you're listening? 


This is my recipe for gingerbread cookies. It's what my grandmother called "Sandy's Delights" because they were my favorites. I grew up just a block away from my grandparent Sauler's house. Actually, it was just a quick dash from our backyard through the neighbor's backyard to their house. And in what had to be a kitchen as tiny as a closet--though there were always potted violets blooming in the window--grandma created fabulous food. 


I imagine I could smell the Sandy's Delights from my house because I managed to be there whenever the cookies came out of the oven. My favorite place to eat them was with my grandpa on the big swing on the front porch.


Of course, I baked these cookies for my children too, especially in the Fall. Gingerbread just tastes like Fall to me. I hope you enjoy them too, along with the story.


Here's the recipe.

Preheat the oven to 350F

1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature

1/2 cup brown sugar (I like dark)

1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 cup white sugar for rolling cookies before baking

1/4 cup molasses

1 egg

grated rind of one orange or lemon

2 1/4 cup all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon ginger

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon cloves

pinch of salt

Baking paper


Cream together butter, brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar with electric mixer. Beat in molasses and egg. Add grated rind.

Sift together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, clove, and salt. Stir into wet ingredients. CHILL for about 30 minutes.

Roll spoonfuls into balls. Roll in white sugar.


Place on cookie sheet topped with baking paper. Bake for 8 minutes or just until tops are risen and about to crack.


Cool and enjoy while listening to 

FINDING HOME!



No comments:

Post a Comment

JOIN ME FOR A READING AND TREAT---FINDING HOME and GINGERBREAD COOKIES

  Click Here To Listen The story, based on the real-life adventures of Cinders, a koala who survived two bushfires, chronicles the challenge...